Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Wheels that Turn the World

Wow.  It has been a long time.  And a lot has happened since my last post, a lot of really good blog-worthy things that have mostly slipped my memory now because it's been a freaking eternity in blog years since I last logged in.  Our family moved to Texas (yeah... I'll go there soon, my friends), I got really involved in my cause of choice (extending the option of evidence-based birth practices to all women), I took up the violin, my kids have grown, like, a foot and a half and I've become about 6 months older and wiser (hahahaha!).

Today, let's talk about causes.  There are a plethora of organizations, coalitions, task forces, groups, protestors and other assorted activists/crazies in the world.  And if you don't like that I just called you (and myself) crazy let's get real for a second here.  If you're unstable enough to fight "the machine"... on anything... you deserve to be called crazy.  It's a terrible uphill battle most of the time.  Unless a lot of people identify with your cause you end up gathering almost zero momentum.  It's a struggle the whole time you're doing it until something gives (usually you).  My husband, who believes himself to be some sort of hedge zen master, put it quite eloquently the other day.  "Change happens naturally.  To force or resist it causes tension and stress.  Let it flow," or some such Taoist drivel.  And he's right.  Change does happen naturally.  And resisting or forcing it IS hard.  But some of us are crazy enough to know when shit needs to get done NOW, not when The Way decides to get around to fixing it.

That's how it is here in the Texas Panhandle.  I have lived and worked around birth in three different states.  In each state the denizens talked about how backward and foolish the medical community was when it came to incorporating evidence based practices.  How hard it was for people who identified as different from society at large to make a way in their lives.  How mistreated animals were, how frequently they saw children being abused, how much strife caused by drug addiction they saw in their communities, how ostracized people of different religions or sexual or gender orientations were, how little concern for the environment there was in their communities... the list is endless.  But here... HERE, I have never seen such back asswardness.  I have my work cut out for me.  In all the areas I care about most. 

But then... all of us do.  All of us who are unstable and passionate and strong enough to ascribe to a cause. We all have an uphill battle, we all meet with seemingly insurmountable obstacles.  And because we are so persistent and passionate and because our voices grow louder every time we speak, sometimes, once in a while, we get shit done.

So let's talk about your causes!  What excites you?  What makes you want to change the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment